lunes, 16 de junio de 2014

The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger

Once I finish "Things fall apart" I was thinking about writing my reflection about the end of the story and the way it changes everything aforementioned, but then I realized that the topic was already covered. In spite of that, I decided to keep my mind and talk about the end of the book, about "The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger"


 
When I read the name of the book that the District Commissioner was going to give to his book I remembered  the "pacificación de la Araucanía" here in Chile. It really called my attention the word "pacification" because it was everything but peaceful. According to Cambridge Dictionary, "pacify" has two meanings,
"to cause someone who is angry or upset to be calm and satisfied" and "to bring peace to a place or end war in a place" and we can clearly see that none of those was the end of the White man with the tribes of Niger (neither with mapuches). 
 
 
So, "white man" come to civilize people and impose not only their language but also their beliefs and governments to an already civilized society which had even more complex customs and were much more respectful to each other. Was it good for Igbo people? Was the change something better for them? Or it was only the end of their "pure" culture and the beginning of a "new" Igbo culture?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario