jueves, 15 de mayo de 2014


Dry September





I decided to write about  "Dry September", one of the twelve collected stories of William Fauklner. This story caught my attention because it clearly shows the abominable breakdown of justice that prejudice can cause. What's more, the story rotates around the killing of Will Mayes, and what I caught is that the murder is omitted and I thought that it may be because Faulkner wanted us  to keep our attention focused on the causes of the violence, and on the mental and physical atmospheres that lead to situations with lot of cruelty.

Furthermore, "Dry September" mentioned many aspects of what the Teacher explained us about the "Southern culture". The "Southern culture" is referred to as the south of the USA, which is a different planet composed by aristocrats, so they do not have a democratic experience. Moreover they have an agricultural economy, and they were formed by a chain of beings which is a kind of structure of a person levels, in that sense they are different. The people from the South have a medieval conception of the universe. If you think about it, it's not so far from the reality. 

 What I found very interested is that Mayer was for me the only character who provoked my sympathy, and caught my attention, since he is described as a good person, uncapable of raping Miss Minnie Cooper. So, making a comparison of all the other characters, it's highly crippy to make a mental image of them. 

I consider myself a person who has no shame of being around, talk, or share with people from other skin color. In fact, one of my best friend is from Africa, She was adopted by a wealth family from the USA and they started living in Santiago a few years ago because her father was sent there for business. When I first knew her it was weird because she was quite shy and she was used to be bullied in the USA. When she started to tell me about her experiences in Africa and then in USA I couldn't imagine, it was horrible. Since she is my friend, I decided to stop watching movies that are based on slaves, racism or violations. Now, I prefer to spend my time with her as much as possible considering she is leaving Santiago in two more weeks. At first I felt sorry about her, but then I learnt to treat it as she deserved and not looking into her eyes with pity.

All things considered, reading these stories were a little bit hard for me by cause of the things that I already mentioned above, but that doesn't mean that I can not be objective: "Dry september" is an exceptional story and I really appreciate it. 





1 comentario:

  1. Nowadays, it would be very stupid to judge or to accuse someone of crime only because of its skin color. There is no reason to believe that a physical characteristic can make you better or worse than other person. I was very amuse while reading this story because of how was the USA years ago and how Mr. Faulkner was able to represent the "Southern culture” so accurately. While reading, I really felt this homophobia to African Americans, beyond the situation in the different stories, mainly because of the use of the word “negro”. In my opinion, It had to be very controversial to use “that” word because even nowadays it is very offensive and disrespectful .

    ResponderEliminar