lunes, 5 de mayo de 2014

Do I dare?




If I say: Do I dare? I suppose that most of you can imagine what I am going to talk about. If not, here it is. I am going to talk about The Love-Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. The reasons why I chose this poem have to do with J. Alfred Prufrock totally caught my attention, and "do I dare?" after being a whole week in my head it became in my favorite verse.

When we analyze a poem, firstly, we go over the author's biography so as to try to understand what moment in his life inspired him to write the poem and then we can interpret it. However, in my personal opinion, this poem makes sense to us not because we know about Elliot's life but because we all have a J. Alfred Prufrock inside.
.
Just as Prufrock wonders "do I dare disturb the universe?", we all have "moments" in our lives when we wonder about the consequences of doing or not something, when we wonder if we should being part of the crowd or follow our beliefs even though they do not reflect the common thought. We always have two options regardless the situation. So, what is your decision?




1 comentario:

  1. Your reflection deeply touches me, because I have felt that way many times in my life. Also, I come up with that thought when we analyzed the poem in class. Everyone has in a way a crisis, probably not the same way as Eliot, because his crisis also had to do with the time that he was living, a war time when you didn't know how long your life would last.
    But the crisis to belong the crowd or not usually happens nowadays, people decide to be themselves or follow "normal" people to be part of a society and probably its beliefs don't fit with the beliefs that they follow, just to be consider in the group.
    And that makes me wonder what actually is correct to follow, how we can know that the followed is not the bad part, but we cannot see this distinction, because the "normal" is defined by the society, the majority of people, but what if these people are wrong?

    ResponderEliminar