lunes, 5 de mayo de 2014

A Drinking Song - William Butler Yeats

I would like to share with you all one of my favorite poems of William Butler Yeats. 




This is a short love poem . We know about Yeats and Maud Gonne and how this love for her has influence his poems. This short- read is one of those.

At first, by reading the whole poem  I could actually picture myself drinking and looking at my significant other, but couldn't but feel sad.
After analyzing the poem, I realize a comparison that Yeats is making between wine and love, as both “comes in” (enters your body) although from different senses, wine "comes in" by taste and loves "comes in" by sight. The next verses tell you that this is a fact, and it will remain as such until you die "That's all we shall know for truth".
The two ending verses begins with “I”, but to whom does this “I” refers to? Does it refers to Yeats or the reader? Then we also have the “I look at you, and I sigh”.Notice the comma, as it gives a more strong intonation to “And I sigh” therefore a stronger connotation in the poem, a more strong sigh, a strong reflection of sorrow or sadness that might be due to not having the one “I” love. 
However this is just my analysis of the poem,therefore, I invite you to give your personal opinion about the poem.

While I was searching material for this topic I stumbled on this parody of the poem. I think is quite funny.

Eating Song
Lunch comes in at the mouth,
And weight goes onto the thighs,
And all we learned in our youth
Is hatred of exercise.
I lift my fork to my mouth,
While reaching for the fries.
-Jay Scott.

Cheers!

2 comentarios:

  1. Although I concur with your interpretation, I have another one:
    Wine instead of being "love" is "poison" and it comes into your body and kill you slowly until you die... "that's we shall know for truth"
    And if go further: when you die, you sigh,and your last breath at your last moment is always accompanied by a memory of whom made you drink the poison... the person who you loved the most.
    PS: i loved the parody...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Excellent Interpretation...I loved and understood it very much...!!

    ResponderEliminar